Please visit the new New York Health Benefit Exchange website for updated information, listing of events and more.
Timelines and Events
- HealthCare.gov: What's Changing and When
- White House Timeline of Key Provisions of Health Reform that Take Effect Immediately
- Implementation Timeline by the Department of Health and Human Services (PDF)
- Interactive Implementation Timeline by the Kaiser Family Foundation
- Implementation Timeline: Immediate Health Insurance Reforms by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (PDF)
September 7, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Utilizing the Exchange to Decrease Health Disparities
August 2, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Milliman Study of Essential Health Benefits
May 11, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Wakely Consulting Group Study on Risk Adjustment and Reinsurance Programs
- Agenda (PDF)
- Wakely Consulting Group Presentation (PDF)
- Risk Adjustment: Key State Decisions (PDF)
- CCIIO Risk Adjustment Overview Presentation (PDF)
March 22, 2012 Essential Health Benefits Stakeholder Conference Call
In this conference call our consultants from Milliman, Inc. reviewed the federal guidance on essential health benefits, state options for selecting a benchmark plan, and their approach to analyzing this issue for New York. The presentation from this call is available here (PDF).
- A Department of Financial Services chart of the state's mandated benefits is available here (PDF).
- Additional information on the essential health benefits is posted on the Submitted Comments page.
March 14, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Wakely Consulting Group Study on the Role of Third Party Assistors
- Agenda (PDF)
- Third Party Assistors Federal Requirements Presentation (PDF)
- Third Party Assistors in NY's Public Health Insurance Programs Presentation (PDF)
- The Role of Third Party Assistors in NY's Individual and SHOP Exchanges Presentation (PDF)
February 16, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Wakely Consulting Group Overview of Business Operations Blueprint
- Agenda (PDF)
- New York's Exchange Planning 2012 Timeline Presentation (PDF)
- Wakely Consulting Group's Business Operations Blueprint Presentation (PDF)
2012 Academy Health Conference
On February 13, 2012, Danielle Holahan presented at Academy Health's "National Health Policy Conference" held in Washington, D.C. Danielle participated in the "Update on Insurance Exchanges" panel with Rhode Island Lt. Governor Elizabeth Roberts, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association's Kim Holland, and Community Catalyst's Christine Barber, and provided an update on New York's Exchange planning work. Her presentation is available here.
February 2, 2012 Exchange Stakeholder Meeting: Urban Institute Health Reform Simulation Modeling Results
- Agenda (PDF)
- New York's Exchange Planning Status Report Presentation (PDF)
- Urban Institute's Simulation Modeling Results Presentation (PDF)
- Community Service Society's Basic Health Plan Presentation (PDF)
- Urban Institute Premium Documentation (PDF)
- Urban Institute NY Standard Implementation Single Family Premium Table (PDF)
Consultation with Native American Tribal Governments
On August 18, 2011, State representatives attended a training hosted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Indian Health Service to meet with representatives from New York's Native American Tribal governments to discuss the Health Insurance Exchange. The presentation from this meeting is available here.
Public Forums on the Establishment of a Health Insurance Exchange in New York State
New Yorkers were invited to a series of public forums to present their ideas on the design of New York's Health Insurance Exchange. Stakeholders including health care consumers, administrators, doctors, hospitals and other health care providers, insurers, producers, businesses, unions, academics, and the general public were invited to participate in this series of public forums. The following Exchange design options were highlighted as issues of interest prior to the forums:
- Should there be one statewide Exchange with adjustments for different regional conditions or do we need separate regional Exchanges?
- Should there be one combined Exchange for individuals and small businesses or separate Exchanges for each group?
- In determining premium cost, should the individual and small group markets be combined, spreading cost and risk over both groups?
- Should small businesses with more than 50 employees be allowed to participate?
- How many different plans should be offered so that consumers have real understandable choices that allow them to make informed choices? Are too many choices bad for consumers?
- How do we avoid having all sick people grouped in an expensive plan and healthy ones in another?
- How do we best use the marketing power of the Exchange as a whole to reduce costs?
The following public forums were held:
|Date||City||Location||Start Time||Testimonies Presented|
|May 16||Albany||Crowne Plaza Hotel, Ballrooms C & D||10:00am-2:00pm||Albany Testimonies|
|May 17||Syracuse||Everson Museum of Art, Hosmer Auditorium||1:00-5:00 pm||Syracuse Testimonies|
|May 18||New York City||Baruch College, Vertical Campus Conference Center||10:00am-2:00pm||New York City Testimonies|
|May 19||Rochester||Monroe Community College, Brighton Campus, Building 4 Theater||2:00-5:30pm||Rochester Testimonies|
|May 23||Listen to the audio recording (MP3, 12MB)||Call-In Forum||12:30-3:30pm||Call-In Testimonies|
The PowerPoint presentation used at each forum is available here.
April 21, 2011 Meeting
Health Insurance Exchange Options: Stakeholder Discussion
- Agenda (PDF)
- PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- NYS Federal Health Care Reform Grants (PDF)
- Additional Health Care Reform Updates (PDF)
July 15, 2010 Webcast
12:30 PM - Experts from the New York State Departments of Health and Financial Services answered questions on health care reform in a WRGB CBS 6 live webcast.